The text is too long to be edited.

This was the error that I receiving during some data conversion in Access today. The version of Access that I was using was 2003, the project, an in-house call accounting system that I developed a couple years ago.  The conflict that needed to be resolved is some what complicated, but I’ll try to explain briefly.

When we switched providers for our phone system, it changed the output of the file that I capture from the PBX. All the fields from March 2008 onward no longer looked quite right. This obviously caused my reporting tools and everything to be off. So, I reformated the Linked Table Specs, but I ddn’t go back to convert the January thru March data.

You see, all the data still existed, it was just formated a little differently. Seeing as how we don’t need to run phone reports very often, it just became an “out of sight out of mind” deal.

Ok, enough babble about my project, let’s get to the problem in the title! I decided to create a few update queries, using the date field I was able to create the criteria as <“03/01” to single out just the problem records! Awesome! So all of the update queries worked beautifully except 1!

One of the Telephone fields (Incoming calls from Outside Sources) was blank! Given that was have over 50,000 records per month in this database, I didn’t feel like going through by hand and pasting in the proper phone numbers. I’ll leave it to you to try and understand my point of view on that! Just as a test however, I try to paste one in and recieved the error! “the text is too long to be edited”

here are a couple of sources that I checked out:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321001

http://www.eggheadcafe.com

I’ll be honest, and i don’t know how I overlooked this, but the Eggheadcafe link provided me the partial solution! It seems that OutSide Numbers field had 10 spaces inserted into the field. So… The Update Query did work… Since the Outside Number Field was set for 10 character. Apparently the field I was updating from, had 10 spaces before the phone numbers.

I know! Sounds like such a stupid simple thing! It was easy enough to use a Find/Replace (Starts with ”          “) and replace with (“”).  After that, I re-ran teh Update Query and everything worked great.

The point is, that someone at the Eggheadcafe had posted the suggestion of using (Shift + F2) to see if there was anything extra in the field. that’s how I found the problem and then I came up with a plan to fix the problem.

Comments are closed.